In The Margins E3: Write Hard, Die Free
An Insider’s Look at the Creative Writing MFA at NC State University
Episode 3 Guests: NCSU Faculty, Dorianne Laux and John Kessell
There are many ways to learn the craft of writing. In the Margins, we take a close look at North Carolina State University’s graduate program specializing in the art of poetry and fiction. Program Director and poet, Dorianne Laux and John Kessell, a member of the fiction faculty, pull back the curtain to the admissions process for the MFA program at NC State and give us insight into the landscape of emerging writers today.
The Master of Fine Arts, or MFA, in Creative Writing at NC State is a is a “two-year program of workshops, literature courses and electives, culminating in a final thesis of literary work worthy of publication.” To give us more insight into the MFA at NC State, we are joined by two award-winning authors: the program’s current director, poet Dorianne Laux (who has published five collections of poetry including most recently: Facts about the Moon and The Book of Men), and two-time Nebula Award-winning science fiction writer John Kessel (who also helped found the MFA program).
North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)
- Creative Writing Master of the Fine Arts: http://english.chass.ncsu.edu/graduate/mfa
- Creative Writing Undergraduate Major: http://english.chass.ncsu.edu/undergraduate/
North Carolina State University Creative Writing Faculty:
- Dorianne Laux (Poetry): http://doriannelaux.net ·
- John Kessel (Fiction): http://johnjosephkessel.wix.com/kessel-website
- Wilton Barnhardt (Fiction): http://www.wiltonbarnhardt.com
- Jill McCorkle (Fiction): http://jillmccorkle.com
- John Balaban (Poetry): http://www.johnbalaban.com
Former Students/Visiting Writers
- Therese Anne Fowler: http://thereseannefowler.com
Visiting Writers Reading at NC State
- Gibbons Ruark: http://www.faculty.english.udel.edu/ruark/
- Eduardo Corral: http://eduardocorral.com
- Allan Gurganus: http://www.allangurganus.com
Share your thoughts with TSHS!