Ah, April! I imagine the origins of National Poetry Month stem from the hope that an abundance of poetry might encourage an early arrival of spring. At our Co-Op in North Carolina, the doilied dogwoods, pink cherry trees, puffy bradford pears, and red tulips are blooming; the bright trumpets of daffodils have faded into their stalks, and azaleas are on the horizon.
Here are 10 ways we’ve decided to celebrate poetry this April, and we encourage you to do so too!
Poetry Month Revelry: Putting more “Verse” in the Universe!
- Post a link to a poem on your favorite social media outlet (Browse poems on The Poetry Foundation)
- Memorize and recite a poem (here is a list of poems 25 lines or fewer)
- Sign up for Poem-a-Day, and be infused with a daily dose of poetry from the Academy of American Poets
- Volunteer to help set up a Poetry Out Loud competition at a local high school for 2015
- Write a poem (here are some ideas to get you started!)
- Submit a poem to a journal or competition
- Support a literary magazine or journal by subscribing for a year
- Go to the library and browse the poetry section
- Attend a poetry reading in your area
- Host a poetry potluck; invite friends for a potluck of delicious food, beverages, and a sharing of favorite poems
And of course, you can always share this post, or email/comment love to the editors at Tate Street High Society! What are you doing to celebrate poetry this April?
About the Author: Abigail Browning
Abigail Browning, Founder and Managing Editor, a native of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, received her MFA in Poetry at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Abigail has poems either published or forthcoming in the Yemassee Journal Online, The Greensboro Review, Linebreak, and RHINO Poetry. In addition, she was honored to receive the Amon Liner Poetry Award, the Noel Callow/Academy of American Poets’ Prize, and was a finalist for the Linda Flowers NC Arts Prize. She also has a passion for jazz music and dance, and teaches swing-era dances in her free time: www.abigailbrowning.com.